Ms.A's History and Social Studies Class
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First nation people and Indians

+2
brockhay
Admin
6 posters

Go down

First nation people and Indians Empty First nation people and Indians

Post  Admin Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:34 am

The Native Americans are called "First nation people" in canada and "Indians" in the United States. Why do you think the names are different even though they mean the same thing? Write 1 paragraph explaining your answer.

Admin
Admin

https://msamelingmeier.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

First nation people and Indians Empty Re: First nation people and Indians

Post  brockhay Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:02 pm

It's pretty weird in my opinion how USA calls the native Americans Indians. Because it's the same name as the east Indians in southern Asia. Canada calls the Native Canadians first nations because they were the first ones to live in the nation. Maybe "Indians" come from the natives who lived in Indiana. If anyone knows the answer for sure please tell me Very Happy !

brockhay

Back to top Go down

Post  Antonia13Dehner Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:35 pm

i think in america its first americans because since they were americans they named them after themselfs... and the canadians called them indians because they just felt like it!!!! Very Happy love you miss.A <3...
your awesome!!! I love you

Antonia13Dehner

Back to top Go down

First nation people and Indians Empty native americanas

Post  PJ Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:04 pm

I really dont exactly dont know but since I've heard lots of people talk about it so I know for a fact that the Canadian people call them first nation people because they were the first to eplore "Canada". The U.S.A maybe doesn't want to copy the Canadian people and so they thought and thought till someone said "Aha! maybe we should call them Indians since they are from India". So this is my legendary story for today or what i at least thought that happened. pirat Very Happy Smile cheers

The end

[b][center]

PJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Jodie Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:41 pm

They call them Indians in USA because when Culumbus went to travel to India to find the good spicies. But he didnt get to India. he came to the USA. Though he thought he was in India. And when he saw the people he thought they where Indians. That why people from USA call them Indians. People from Canada call them Native Americans cause they know dont feel like saying Indians cause they arent. I think thats why the USA and Canada call them different. Culumbus came to the DR. before or after he came to the USA. He is from Holland...!!!(Ithink).

XOXO Lubs mrs. A...!!! I love you geek

Jodie

Back to top Go down

First nation people and Indians Empty First Nations People and Indians

Post  Ana09Martinez Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:44 pm

I think Canada and the U.S. have different names for them because they both have they´re own culture. Canadians probably call them the first nation people because they probably believe that they were the first ones to settle in Canada. Smile And Americans probably call them Indians because of their different color.

Ana09Martinez

Back to top Go down

First nation people and Indians Empty Native Americans vs. First Nations

Post  mariaelena3709 Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:50 am

Hey Ms. A. Sorry i didn't post this reply earlier, but i just couldn't find it. Okay, enough blabbing, now i'll talk about Native Americans and First Nations.

I think that Canadian people call the first settlers "First Nations" because they were the first humans seen on the nation of Canada. American people call the first humans seen in America "Native Americans" because they are netive to the country.

Both of these words meen the some thing; people that settled on the American-Canadian land first. I'm not absolutely sure why they have 2 very diverse names for the two words, but maybe they didn't want to be classified as the same people.

The Americans might of wanted to be known as the "indiginous people" of America, and the Canadians might of wanted to be called the "indiginous people" of Canada, so they thought of two synonyms and chose their pick. (I have been doing so research on the internet looking at some articles in books!!!) study

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo, love you Ms. A!
lol!

mariaelena3709

Back to top Go down

First nation people and Indians Empty homework for S.S.

Post  alexgall Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:53 pm

I think that's because the U.S. and Canada wanted to distinguish from each other. They changed a lot of names, although the meanings of the names is the same. For example, the government of U.S. called "RESERVATION" ,the federal lands set aside for the first people, while the Canada's government called it "RESERVE". The first people derives from the real first people that were living in the U.S., while the first nations derives from the indigenous people. The first people mixed their culture with the immigrants, instead the first nation preserve their culture and language, in fact the canada's government gives to the first nations, the possibility to use their own language in their school.

alexgall

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum